Saturday, September 21, 2013

28mm AWI MAURICE CAMPAIGN GAME 3 - ACTION AT QUEENS MOUNTAIN

On Saturday Dave Paterson and I played out the 3rd game in our Maurice AWI campaign.  Here are the forces for this game.  Given my victory last time my Patriot army now had 8 trained and 4 conscript   infantry so was better quality than the British.  Dave decided that dropping Lethal Volleys in the last game had been an error and we agreed that he could get it back by dropping  A La Bayonette and his second unit of irregular infantry.  After the last game I had been joined by the Notable Richard Chaffee.
British left advances onto the hill

PATRIOT
8 TRAINED REGULAR INFANTRY
4 CONSCRIPT REGULAR INFANTRY
2 TRAINED REGULAR CAVALRY
2 ARTILLERY
2 IRREG INFANTRY

National advantages
OBLIQUE ORDER
Notable Richard Chaffee
Army Morale 16

BRITISH
1 ELITE REGULAR INFANTRY
3 TRAINED REGULAR INFANTRY
4 CONSCRIPT REGULAR INFANTRY
1 TRAINED REGULAR CAVALRY
2 ARTILLERY
1 IRREG INFANTRY

National advantages
OBLIQUE ORDER, RALLY TO THE COLOURS, LETHAL VOLLEYS
Notable Reverend Whitehead
TOTAL Army Morale 11

Advanced Rules in use – Oblique Order, Light artillery, All Guns bombard, Honours of War

I won the scouting contest and decided to be the defender.  Dave as the attacker took an additional  unit of regular infantry for his mercenary supplement raising his army morale by 1.

I deployed my Irregulars on the far left flank, 8 infantry units in my centre, with 4 units of infantry on the right flank and the cavalry on the far right.  The main body in the centre was deployed covering the objective my camp on a low Hill.  Dave deployed his 5 elite and regular infantry plus both guns on his left with his Loyalist conscript infantry held back in a defensive position at a fence on his right.
Battle lines engage - my attempt to flank British on hill and attack Loyalists at the fence line
At the start of the game Dave moved his left flank rapidly forward and occupied the large hill facing my right wing.  I decided to move 2 units from my left to reinforce my right – this proved to be my first error as once the fighting began these 2 units never got into action.  I then moved my centre forward to flank the British on the hill and also engage the conscripts.  My attack in the centre bogged down due to the heroic resistance of his Elite Hessian fusiliers who held of the fire of 2 units and a gun for repeated turns.  My attack on his conscripts was fought of and the 3 units I committed to it were all broken.    It became an even more messy action as I lost both of my guns in the centre.  I even threw my cavalry into a heroic charge against a steady British battalion on the hill.  Amazingly they won and the British broke but both cavalry units were then flanked and shot down by the 4th of Foot.
Dave studying the rules - a useful and dangerous move as my attack on the fence line falters


Hessian elite fusiliers taking the brunt of my attack
Dave was down to 5 morale points when my morale broke – a few more lucky dice in my last volley phase and a long held Action card might have won me the game.  I had lost 10 units and Dave 5. Once again it was a good close  game.  Attacking to widely, not getting all my units into the battle line before the action got underway and appalling dice rolling all proved fatal to my cause.  We did not even get through the first card deck!

2 comments: