Friday, January 13, 2012

WWII Reinforcements


As I said before I had 2 main projects in 2011 - continuing to add units to my AWI collection and building up my Russian and French forces for the 200th Anniversary of the battle of Borodino in 2012. I have largely finished my collection for Borodino and I have already taken part in my first Borodino refight at RAF Leuchars. I am still collecting extra troops for the AWI and I have ordered some of the excellent Perry Miniatures. The other major part of my collection to which I continue to make additions is my 20mm WWII collection. Here are some new reinforcements.

T35 LAND DREADNOUGHT.....
In a previous post I put up photos of some models that my stepson that Alex brought me from Moscow. The models are ready built 1/72 models from the Russian Tank magazine collection which is sold in Russia. At that time I had not decided what to do with the most impressive of the models - a pair of T35 land dreadnoughts. Approximately 50 of these giants were built in the 1930s for the Red Army. They were great in parades in Red Square but most were lost broken down in the first days of the German invasion. I have now dry brushed the models with sandstone and mounted them on bases made from oilpaint board.


IS-2 - GREAT FOR DRIVING THRU BUILDINGS IN BERLIN
In addition I have been painting up models for a projected Battle of Berlin 1945 game which Colin Jack, Hugh Wilson and I have been planning to put on as a display this year. It was our plan to get it ready for last year but we made no progress. These are all Red Army tank models from Pegasus Hobbies. Modelzone have been selling some of these kits - IS2, ISU-122/ISU152, SU152 and KV-1S - in their New Year sale.  The ISU-122/152 box comes with the mountings and guns for both versions. They are relatively easy build kits except that they have more parts to their suspensions than the Armourfast and Italeri easy build kits.  I have mounted them on the pill shaped mdf bases from Warbases.

ISU-122 - YES A VERY LONG MODEL WHEN YOU ADD IN THE GUN

Excellent Russian book on big SUs - Sverboi Tiger Killers

2 comments:

  1. Nice tanks and man is that a long gun!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chris
      Thanks - the Pegasus Hobbies models are good value now. Rival Armourfast and Italeri easy build kits have one piece track/suspension - these have 8 pieces. Their tracks look better though. The ISU-122s were only built as they could not produce enough 152mm gun/hows for the ISU-152s.

      Delete